Sunday, December 04, 2005

Getting to Yes

This week, I finished reading a well-known book about negotiation, "Getting to Yes," by Roger Fisher and William Ury. They argue that, for the most part, people engage in "positional negotiation." What this means, is that they will state their positions "I want this," or "I think that...," which often results in damaged relationships and unwise decisions. They advocate trying to "Separate the people from the problem," "Focus on interests, not positions," "Invent Options for Mutual Gain," and "Insist on Using Objective Criteria."
The concepts in this book are generally intuitive and quite effective. They break down negotiating into simple concepts. I spent the weekend developing a mind map for these concepts in the hope of keeping it fresh in my mind.
After a few weeks of trying to implement this book in my day-to-day, I have found two of their ideas to be very easy and helpful to use.
First, try to identify the all of the interests behind any given position. Ask the other side "why" about their own positions, and "why not" about the options you invent.
Second, wherever possible, ask questions like "do you agree that...?" rather than making positional statements, whenever you are discussing the issue(s) at hand.
Here's my mind map. I hope you find it useful.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home