Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Google Maps is Not Enough


Holy cow - Google Maps mashups have been taking off like mad for some time now and I was in the dark. I wish that Google would release Google Earth for Mac already! I stumbled across GoogleMapsMania for the first time a few days ago. In short order, I discovered loads of interesting map mashups.

I think this is very exciting. Location-based information is one of the first steps involved in bringing the virtual back out into the real world. It's a remarkable tool for browsing media by location. All of these mashups show a real demand for customizable, collaborative, social maps. I would love to see Google add support for maps to their Google Groups service, and perhaps to allow creating sets of public or private personal maps. The only other thing I can think to ask for is a Google directory-style browsing interface for looking up businesses (and maybe groups, or people) on the Google maps.

Search for more interesting maps at GoogleMapsMania on Google. Or, if you're feeling creative, build your own Google Map with mapbuilder or YourGMap.

1 Comments:

At 9:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, no offense, Josh, but seriously, where have you been??? Word of Google-anything spreads really quickly on xanga. I learned about Google Maps and Google Earth at least a year ago on xanga.

By the way, there's no one link on the comment page (as an "Other" leaving comments) that takes me back to your original blog in all its glory. I must click at least twice to reach your homepage: once to go to the post on which I am commenting and then again on the timestamp to reach the main page.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home